Castlemaine, Maldon & Surrounds
Enjoy a host of contemporary experiences complementing the legacy of gold – beautiful heritage buildings, wide streets & European gardens amid stunning scenery.
Castlemaine, the largest town in the Shire, boasts an eclectic community of artists, writers, actors and designers offering a host of galleries, theatres, festivals, bookshops and boutiques. This is also a theme that runs through our smaller towns.
Great food is another hallmark of the Shire with some of the state’s best chefs based here in top quality restaurants. Experience ‘hatted’ restaurants, multicultural cuisine in funky cafes, award winning wines, providores of local produce, and a community committed to organic and seasonal food.
Maldon, the second largest town, conveys charm amongst a plethora of historic buildings. Funky cafes, boutique shopping and an array of cultural and creative pleasures await the visitor.
The fertile Harcourt Valley is an amazing blend of history, striking scenery and innovate twists on local produce with a fruit growing history dating back to 1859. Three cideries are located here, supplying markets around the world plus a number of wineries, three with a 5-star James Halliday rating.
Must Do List:
• Visit beautiful Buda Historic Home and Garden
• See Castlemaine Art Gallery’s remarkable collection
• Ride the historic steam train railway from Maldon to Castlemaine
• Visit the cellar doors, cider makers, farm gates and cafe's
• Discover ‘hatted restaurants’ and funky cafes
• Explore eclectic vintage stores and antiquarian bookshops
• Wander through Maldon’s historic streetscape and browse through boutique stores
• Take the family to the award-winning childrens’ playground at the Castlemaine Botanical Gardens
• Walk or ride a section of the Goldfields Track, a ‘must-do’ outdoor experience
The towns of Castlemaine and Maldon are only 30 mins from Bendigo with Harcourt approx. 20 minutes travel time by car. For more details on travel times and public transport options visit Public Transport Victoria or V/Line.