Castlemaine, Maldon & Surrounds
Think creativity, think eclectic Castlemaine. This historic town boasts a remarkable community of artists, writers, actors and designers, who offer a host of galleries, theatres, festivals, bookshops and boutiques. It’s a theme that runs through nearby Maldon, Newstead and Harcourt.
Great food is another hallmark of the shire. Some of the state’s best chefs have invested in top quality gastro pubs, restaurants and cafés. Find multicultural cuisine, providores of local produce and cellar doors and cider makers.
Must Do List:
• See Castlemaine Art Gallery’s remarkable collection
• Ride the historic steam train railway from Maldon to Castlemaine
• Visit the cellar doors, cider makers, farm gates and cafe's
• Explore eclectic vintage stores and antiquarian bookshops
• Cycle or hike the Mount Alexander summit
* Rail & Bus Services: visit www.viclink.com.au or call 136 196.