Bendigo Botanic Gardens
Enjoy the wide open spaces, the beautiful gardens, the playground and the natural wetlands. There are various picnic facilities dotted throughout the park. Barbeques and toilets are available.
The Bendigo Botanic Garden was planned during the early days of the gold rush, with land alongside the Bendigo Creek officially set aside in 1857. Many plants for the 15 acre area were supplied by Ferdinand von Mueller, Melbourne Botanic Gardens director, some of which still survive today.
In the 1870s a lagoon was dug into the creek to create a natural wetland, a picnic shelter was built in 1904 (still used) and a large walkthrough bird aviary was erected in 1987. The striking Arch of Triumph at the garden’s entrance was constructed as a WWI memorial in 1925.
The Bendigo Botanic Garden is located Midland Highway, White Hills, 4km north-east of Bendigo CBD. It is open every day from 7:30am-sunset.
For more background information and downloadable brochures visit